I am assuming that you are a couple relocated to Bangalore after marriage.
1. First get both your name removed from any existing ration card(s). If you are from other state and the removal certificate is in the local language of that state (eg. Marati in Maharastra), please ensure that is translated by a notary to english in a legal document. If you don't have any ration card previously, get a letter stating that you don't have a ration card from the municipal office in your native place (the translation rule holds good, if this is also in your native language)
2. Find out the relevant Food & Civil Supplies office from the below list. If you are not sure, please call one of the phone numbers mentioned and check.
3. Visit this office and get an application form paying Rs.10. This form will be in Kannada. Use the enclosed translated form to fill the same. It can be filled in English though. (Leave all the untraslated part blank... they are not required.)
Translated Karnataka Ration Card Application Form
Note: (You can get the blank form from ahara website also, but they will not accept it....you can probably use it for a rough copy)
4. You will need the following documents for submission
a. Residence Proof (Copy of Sale Deed, Rental Agreement, BSNL Landline Bill, property tax receipt etc.)
b. Identity Proof (Copy & Original of Passport, Pan Card, Driving License etc.)
c. Surrender Certificate or Letter from municipal office.
5. The officer there might ask you for purpose, say either for identity proof or gas connection. Remember to collect the counter foil from the officer, in which she will mention a tentative date for inspection. Now wait for the inspector to visit your house for inspection. (They came to my house on a Saturday, so they are that considerate & they were very straight forward and didnot ask for any bribe)
6. The inspector give you a date before leaving to collect your ration card. Ensure that you go on that date with all the family members whose name is to be included in the card (this is compulsary).
7. On the said date, visit the F&CS office and collect your application from the officer you gave it earlier, and then proceed to the computer room. Pay the fees of Rs.45 here for the card. The operator there fills in all your details and asks you to verify it once, and then same is translated to Kannada also. Now another person takes the photo of all the family members one by one and take a thumb impression and records them in a computer.
8. Thats it. Now they print your ration card and laminate the same and give it to you.
The entire process took a little less than a month.